- August 31, 2023
- Posted by: Canga Restoration
- Category: Commercial Roofing
As a property manager, it’s your responsibility to ensure that everything runs smoothly in the properties you manage. While we understand that you have a lot on your plate, don’t let commercial roofing maintenance in Chicago slip your mind.
By properly maintaining your roof, you’ll be taking a huge step in avoiding any roofing emergencies which can cost you lots of money. This blog post will guide you on effective commercial roofing maintenance in Chicago even through the state’s coldest winters. So Let’s Dive into this essential guide full of tips, tricks, and professional roofing advice from Canga Restoration.
Schedule Regular Roof Inspections
Regular roof inspections should be scheduled with a licensed professional annually to detect damage before it worsens. These evaluations must be done by an experienced roofer who is familiar with the Chicago, IL, climate. They should inspect for visible damage and check ventilation, seals, and insulation to ensure that your commercial roofing system is in good condition.
Here are some other tips to remember when scheduling an inspection for the property that you manage:
- Be sure to get a written report of the findings from the roofer after their inspection.
- Ask the roofer to safely inspect hard-to-reach places such as drain pipes, flashings, and skylights.
- Request pictures of any damage they may find so that you can keep a visual record.
- Be sure to ask your roofer for recommendations to protect your commercial roof from further damage proactively.
- Have the roofer provide you with an estimated timeline for any suggested repairs and replacement of components.
- Ensure that both you and your roofer agree on the final inspection report before signing off on it.
Taking the time to schedule regular inspections helps ensure that minor issues don’t become major problems like mold or mildew, especially when you are dealing with multiple rental units. By adhering to these tips, you can ensure that any potential issues are addressed before they become serious.
Keep Your Roof Clean
Keeping your roof clean is an essential part of keeping it in good condition. At least once a month, you should take the time to inspect and clear off any debris, like dirt, leaves, and other materials that have accumulated on the roof. Doing this will help prevent water from pooling in certain areas and potentially cause more significant problems down the line.
Debris, dirt, and leaves that gather on your roof must be cleaned regularly to prevent water pooling. With regular debris removal, the moisture that accumulates on your roof will quickly evaporate, preventing your roof from accumulating excess weight that can damage your roof.
Maintain the Flashing
It is essential for property managers to regularly inspect their roof flashing in order to maintain its integrity. As part of your routine inspection, make sure all the seams are securely sealed and that any exposed metal areas are correctly caulked or repaired. In addition, check for any rust around the base where it meets the wall or chimney. Ensure no nails have been driven through the metal and no visible damage has occurred. If you notice any signs of wear or deterioration, replacing the flashing as soon as possible is best to prevent further water damage.
Tips for Maintaining the Flashing:
- Check seams and exposed metal areas regularly
- Make sure all nails have not been driven through the metal
- Replace any flashing that shows signs of wear or deterioration
- Clear any debris buildup on top of the flashing
- Ensure surrounding gutters and downspouts are in good working condition
- Use a roofer familiar with Chicago’s commercial roofs to check for any weaknesses or areas needing repair
- Ensure your maintenance program includes regular flashing and other roof components inspections.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your commercial roof in Chicago is properly maintained and help prevent water damage from occurring. Regular maintenance from a professional will help extend the life of your roof. If you need any assistance with maintaining or repairing your roof, contact a qualified local Chicago-based roofer for professional advice like Canga Restoration.
Take Care of Your Drainage System
As a property manager, it’s essential to ensure your roof drainage system is maintained correctly. Gutters and downspouts should be checked regularly and cleared of potential debris that can block water flow or cause holding problems. Any signs of rust, corrosion, or other damage should be addressed in order to maintain the integrity of the drainage system.
Clogged gutters should also be cleaned as they can quickly become overwhelmed and cause overflows that may damage your property’s foundation. Taking the time to routinely inspect and repair any issues with your roof drainage system will help protect your investment for years to come.
Tips for Maintaining Your Roof Drainage System:
- Routinely inspect gutters and downspouts for any signs of damage, clogs, or corrosion
- Ensure all debris is cleared from the drainage system
- Clean out any dirt or other blockages that may impede water flow
- Repair any issues with rust, rot, or further damage quickly
- Investigate and address potential overflow problems caused by clogged gutters
- Make sure all drains are functioning correctly and don’t need to be cleared or unclogged
- Consider installing a gutter guard system to make maintenance easier and reduce the amount of debris buildup over time.
Maintaining your roof drainage system is an essential part of keeping your property secure and in good condition. Taking the time to inspect and take care of your gutters, downspouts, and other drainage systems will help ensure you maximize the lifespan of your roof, protect your investment, and keep your property safe from potential water damage.
Contact Canga Restoration Today for Commercial Roofing Maintenance in Chicago, IL
A good roofing contractor will inspect your system, identify problems, and suggest the best course of action to maintain or repair your roof. On the other hand, property managers in Chicago have many responsibilities to ensure their properties are maintained and profitable.
If you are a property manager, it’s time that you get the peace of mind you need. Roof maintenance is essential to prevent emergencies and avoid high repair costs. By scheduling regular inspections, maintaining your flashing and drainage system, and hiring expert roofing contractors, your commercial roof maintenance in Chicago will be a breeze. At Canga Restoration, we provide comprehensive commercial roofing maintenance services. Contact us today to learn more.